TRIPLE BOTTOM LINE
PEOPLE. PLANET. PERFORMANCE
GLG’s Triple bottom line philosophy demands that our company’s responsibility is to our stakeholders rather than just our shareholders. Stakeholders include anyone who might be affected by a company’s or industry’s practices, from workers to surrounding communities, shareholders and beyond. Read more about our triple bottom line accomplishments and commitments in GLG’s Sustainability Report.
- Facilities are built inside major growing areas with a surrounding circular ring of satellite buying stations
- Eases individual farmer burden for leaf delivery and consolidates loads
- Reduces kilometers traveled to transport harvested leaf
- Reduces emissions from truck delivery over long distances
- All GLG facilities have undergone an environmental impact assessment
- Ongoing skills training for all organizational levels
- Well-rounded, continued education programs
- Equal pay and equal opportunity
- Local Labor Force
- GLG hires workers from the local community
- Hands-on training
- Good employee benefits and skills training
- Above average wages
- More than 60% of the GLG’s workforce in China are local workers who are provided skills and management training
- Farmer Training
- GLG educates farmers on cultivation technique and sustainable farming practices
- Helping farmers deepen their skill set
- Helping farmers to achieve higher yields
- Helping farmers raise family income
- Farmers earn 2-3 times higher income growing stevia than traditional crops such as rice or wheat
- Processing technology at all facilities has been designed for maximizing water efficiency
- Improvements are continually being made by GLG engineers to reduce water consumption
- New recycling R&D has enabled 30% of water used in processing to be recycled and reused. This R&D recycling technology received patent protection in China in 2010.
- One facility has reduced its use of the local water supply and built a system to convert river water which meets 70% of total production needs
- Waste water treatment facilities are present at all facility sites
- In 2010 GLG received a patent in China for its environmentally friendly waste water treatment system which GLG experts engineered.
- The system removes impurities and cleanses the water to higher purity levels than when sourced–-when released into environment water is 200% cleaner than national environmental standard
- Water tested internally and externally by third parties (both independent and government bodies)
- 100% of GLG industrial waste is fully recycled
- Active carbon in processing is recycled for reactivation
- Chemical waste recycled for making bricks or fertilizers
- By-product is used for animal feed
- By-product or waste leaf is also used to make fertilizer
- We are working to positively impact the diets of individuals around the globe
- GLG focus is on providing all natural, zero calorie sweetening systems that enable food and beverage manufacturers to offer consumers healthier choices
- Partner with customers to enable reduction of sugar and caloric content as well as use of all natural ingredients
- Commitment to new technologies and product innovation
- Investment in a healthier future as part of our corporate mission
- Natural breeding of high RA-content stevia varieties, such as the GLG Huinong 3, which has more than 76% RA in the plant leaf
- GLG leaf varieties enables significant increases in processing efficiencies, further economization of each leaf
- Direct seed to field, hardy seed, elimination of greenhouses and seedling transplantation step (traditional industry method)
- Significant reduction in valuable time and resources
- Dually eases farmer burden and increases crop yield
- Minimizing our footprint (click and see content underneath)
- Social responsibility (click and see content underneath)
- Community (click and see content underneath)
- Sustainable growth for our future (click and see content underneath)
- Due to GLG investment in high value leaf, we are able to reduce raw material input, water usage, energy, time and processing costs
- GLG proprietary stevia leaf means our facilities require on average 50-55% less leaf in processing than use of common market leaf to achieve the same metric ton of finished product
- Proprietary strains are less prone to disease and pests enabling little to no use of pesticides
- GLG trains farmers in sustainable agriculture
- Stevia fits within a healthy crop rotation
- Reduces the need for fertilizers and extends the life of the soil
- Encouraged to use organic fertilizer for soil improvement
- Farmers are also trained to meet set quality standards
- GLG stevia has been certified as a Pollution-Free Agricultural Product by the China Ministry of Agriculture
- Certification includes a double compliance system with requirements in terms of environment, chemical residual, production process and product quality
- Regular external audits performed for pesticide residual evaluations
- 250x sweeter than sucrose (cane sugar or beet sugar)
- Agriculturally requires less consumption of resources to obtain an equivalent sweetness utility
- Stevia promotes natural resource conservation:
- Reduced acreage (90% reduction in land required to grow stevia versus sugar cane)
- Reduced water consumption
- Reduced energy consumption
- Reduced labor requirements
- GLG has donated to support relief for thousands of those affected by earthquakes in China
- GLG provides funding for local community improvements
- Maintenance for local roads
- Building of community infrastructure
- Strong government relations including local, regional and central government support for GLG projects
- GLG business provides significant economic stimulus for rural regions
- Job creation: GLG created more than 1,000 jobs in rural China
- Industrialization with four industrial campuses
- Skills training in agriculture, industry and management
- GLG is recognized by the government as a model foreign enterprise
- Usage of power, steam and water are closely measured and monitored Solar thermal equipment installed at all worker dormitories
- New practices, processing techniques and equipment utilized for better efficiency results and to reduce energy consumption
- At one facility, boilers were upgraded with variable frequency self-control units to control air intake and coal supply and reduce both consumption and emissions
- Energy saving policies in place for all office and factory workers
- Goal to reduce energy consumption by 20% by further optimizing the production process and continuing to make technological improvements
FAIRNESS TO FARMERS PROGRAM
The GLG team built a strong relationship with local farmers and agents by consistently demonstrating our integrity and our friendly, professional approach.
GLG proprietary stevia leaf means our facilities require on average 50-55% less leaf in processing than use of common market leaf to achieve the same metric ton of finished product.
GLG has reached more than 1,000 jobs in rural China at our many locations.
Proprietary strains are less prone to disease and pests enabling little to no use of pesticides.
100% of GLG industrial waste is fully recycled. Download our complete Sustainability Report for more details and information.
GLG Life Technologies partnered with over 200,000 local farmers
STEVIA RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
GLG Stevia has been certified as a Pollution-Free Agricultural product by the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture.
GLG employs farm technicians that study the cultivation of stevia leaf and organize stevia training courses to educate our farmers on how to grow stevia.
GLG tests stevia products pesticide content using third party labs – SGS according to the FDA standard.
GLG’s proprietary strains (All Non-GMO) are significantly less prone to disease or pests enabling little to no use of pesticides.
The GLG agriculture team offers technological guidance to the co-operative society and growers, prescribing the use of pesticides when required.